Asparagus mozzarella and prosciutto parcels
These asparagus, mozzarella and prosciutto parcels are a perfect light summer starter. They also make a more substantial meal if teamed with new potatoes or a selection of salads. It is fascinating that only three ingredients (and a dash of black pepper) can work together in such beautiful harmony.
The secret however is in the preparation – don’t overcook the asparagus. The timings are in the recipe below.
The below quantities make three starter portions, so you can easily scale up to make more. It’s best to leave the asparagus to cool for a while. Try to cook it in advance of needing to cook the final stages and serve up.
If you’re looking for lighter recipes, this banana and coconut bread and butter pudding is a delicious twist on a classic recipe.
Asparagus, mozzarella and prosciutto parcels
You will need:
- 2 packs of asparagus
- 6 slices of prosciutto – parma or serrano ham would also work
- 1 pack of uncut mozzarella (I always go for the low-fat option)
- Black pepper to season
What to do:
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the asparagus for one minute only before draining in a colander.
- Leave the asparagus to cool in the colander. They will continue to cook in there, so don’t worry about them being undercooked.
- While they are cooling, slice the mozzarella. I got six good slices out of mine, but you can get a few more if you slice more thinly.
- Once cool, divide the asparagus into equal numbers and wrap your chosen ham around the asparagus. Try to cover most of the length of the asparagus, to do this you wind the ham around the asparagus a few times, so on each turn it only overlaps slightly.
- Arrange the asparagus onto a grill pan. Add a slice of mozzarella onto each asparagus bundle. Season each one with a dash of ground black pepper.
- Grill on a medium heat until the cheese is warm and has melted.
- Serve and enjoy.
Hopefully you can see it’s very simple to make, and you discover this is a sublime combination.