This is such as easy meal to put together, but it tastes delicious! I got the idea after making aubergine and halloumi burgers, but I fancied trying it out without the bread roll so it was less carby.
So this bread-less recipe was created! This is ideal for two people as a light meal or lunch. Or a large starter 🙂
You will need:
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 packet halloumi – ideally the burger slices as these are the perfect shape. I’ve used the slices from Cypressa and they are lovely, and I know Tesco and Sainsbury have their own as well
- Caramelised onion houmous
- Bag of rocket
What to do:
- Slice the aubergine quite thickly (about 1.5cm)
- Stack the halloumi and aubergine together, aubergine first then halloumi, then repeat and finish with a final aubergine on the top
- Pop them under a medium grill for 5 minutes, keeping an eye on them as halloumi can overcook quite quickly!
- When you’re happy with how they’re cooked, put one stack on each plate, add a handful of rocket on the side and a big dollop of houmous on the top of the stack (I can recommend both Waitrose and Tesco for their houmous)
- Eat and be happy!
It really is that simple. But very yummy. Let me know what you think! You could also try adding in different vegetables such as tomato or peppers to mix things up or to increase your portion of veg for the day.